Health Toll Of Scott Kelly's Year In Space

Retired NASA astronaut Scott Kelly says he lost bone mass and his muscles atrophied during his time on the International Space Station (ISS).

He returned from the ISS in March after a year in space, and has also told how the "psychological stress" felt as damaging as the radiation exposure.

He said: "During my time in orbit, I lost bone mass, my muscles atrophied, and my blood redistributed itself in my body, which strained my heart.

"Every day, I was exposed to 10 times the radiation of a person on Earth, which will increase my risk of a fatal cancer for the rest of my life.

"Not to mention the psychological stress, which is harder to quantify and perhaps as damaging."

U.S. astronaut Kelly is assisted by ground personnel shortly after landing near Dzhezkazgan

He spoke as part of an announcement that his memoir will be published late next year.

He will also be launching a series of books for younger readers.

His year in space allowed NASA scientists to conduct rigorous tests to discover how his body responded to the extend period away from Earth.

Ape On The ISS

During his time on the ISS he said that it was hard to be "isolated in the physical sense from people on the ground who are important to you".

Commander Kelly clocked up the most days spent in space by an American during his career.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Share on Google Plus

About Quang

My blog is the place to update the latest information on sports, science and technology ... If you found this article good, useful please the share for others to see, even if you want to design a ecommerce website or web edit or set a special plugin functionality, please contact us now (Information in the footer)
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét